10.05.2012

All Natural Agave Margarita Mix Recipe!


Have you ever looked at the ingredients in the mixers for adult beverages? Let's just say that it's on the list of things that now that I know, I wish I could forget :) I'm ruined. I love a margarita, on the rocks with LOTS of salt.. and there aren't any commercial-bottled margarita mixers that I can put into my body. (honestly, I know I'll drink the booze but god-for-bid I ingest HFC or preservatives!?! Oh the irony, but we each have our weaknesses, mine is definitely booze!) So, what a great way to spend a Friday Night - creating my own Margarita Mix!

Here's my (soon to be famous) Margarita Recipe:

5 Limes, juiced
1 Lemons, juiced
1/2c Water
1/2c Organic Agave

In a pint (or other similar 2c container) combine aguave, water and fresh juice - shake well to combine. I've found that a hand-press juicer works best (I got ours at Target for $10)

I must say - DO NOT under any circumstances cheat and try to use the bottled juice crap, cause it's crap, OK? thanks! I mean really - just buy the crap in the bottle then if you can't handle the citrus juicing!!

BUT WAIT! .......Don't toss out or compost those citrus rinds! Use them to make my Citrus Enzymatic Cleaner!


Ok back to the Margaritas - cause I'm getting thirsty!  Tequila.   Need I say more, it's been such a good friend to me over the years :) Now - I don't normally tell stories on my blog but I will make this one exception :) Last year we vacationed at Secrets Huatulco (which is breath-takingly beautiful!) along with a group of friends...

Vacay 2012 at Secrets Huatulco Mexico

One of our dearest friends joined us on vacay last year for the first time, I'll call her "Suga" (pronounced sugar without the r at the end, like the song "Oh, sugar-suga") Suga took a mid-day break from the sun and returned late afternoon - I found her sitting at the pool-bar doing shots of tequila, because "She is behind on drinking" .. and I believe that was the same night the Mr. Suga had to climb through the 'secret door'  since he didn't have a room key and Suga was asleep :) Please keep in mind we're not young people.... but we typically are the life of the party where ever we go!

Mixing your Margarita:

1/4c Homemeade Margarita Mix
1.5 oz Tequila
.5 oz Triple Sec
Kosher or Margarita Salt
Ice

Fill a pint sized canning jar with ice, add in your margarita mix, tequila and triple sec - put on a lid and shake-shake-shake... and Yes I love canning jars!

In one bowl put your salt and another bowl a folded up wet paper towel. Rub the rim of your glass on the wet paper towel then dip in the salt.. Carefully pour you Margarita into your salted glass and enjoy!

Try it out and let me know what you think!